Wednesday, July 8, 2009

economics with cuteness......

Okay c’mon tell me what is wrong in studying economics in graduation?

It came to me striking while I was having a lovely chat with a few lovely girls in a café recently (I don’t know why everything related to girls comes striking to us?). I was sitting with the friends of a friend of mine so I thought to concentrate on her friends (of course to make them feel at home); especially to one whom I found really cute. Our jokes were understood by each other very well followed by an extra ounce of laughter. As a group also we were going nicely, discussing the latest movie- NewYork, dressing sense of Katrina and John, then we went on to discuss new movie launches in pipeline (I was dreaming the future prospects) until one of them raised a technical question (I hate it when girls raise technical issues and that too in between nice talks). The question pertained to my studies. Economics Graduate I said. And after that the reactions changed from wow feeling to Oh! "Oh the number stuff? Why even after so many economics theories we can’t prevent a recession when it comes? Why everything in economics start with hypothesis?"

Oh my god this was not where I wanted to land.

And then started what I may call my nightmare. My cutie pie asked- Did you take Human Resources Management as your specialization to give yourself a human perspective after this economics degree or you were genuinely interested in taking up HR? I tried to lighten up the environment by cracking actually it was because of pretty girls in HR that I took HR. But my jokes were not jokes anymore. I could have understood if it were from one or two girls. May be a breakup with an economics guy or some time table guy (remember Dil Chahta Hai?); but there I was with four girls just hell bent to post mortem my decision of taking Economics at first place and then the dare to follow it up with an HR.

So finally I had to take up the stage to clear things about economics. Yes economics guys are a little enticed towards numbers (when somebody asks us how many hours you slept yesterday we tend to say 8 hours, 33% more than my average sleeping hours and so on). Yes economics theories did fail to solve the problems many times but believe me I had nothing to do with those theories. So finally 43 minutes later, after 7 arguments in favour of economics and 3 proofs about economics guys being human (even without studying HR), we came to the conclusion not to ostrich economics people from society. But in the process of reaching to conclusion my cutie pie was lost somewhere. My future dreams which had started coming in the beginning of the talk were forgotten in between somewhere. What an opportunity cost of discussing economics!

No comments:

Post a Comment